EFL – Teacher
2008 to Present
International House Bielsko-Biala: Teacher and Exams Co-ordinator
I have been a teacher with International House Bielsko-Biala in the south of Poland since 2008, though this includes a one-year break to go travelling through Eastern Europe and Africa. I have taught every level and age combination that there is to teach, though in recent years I have specialised more in the teaching of exam classes. Since 2015 I have worked as the school’s Exams Co-ordinator. The role covers running training workshops for the teachers on teaching exam classes, and arranging mock exams and exam clubs for students interested in taking one of the Cambridge exams at the school.
2019 Summer School
Stirling School of English: Lead Tutor
I spent the summer of 2019 working for the Stirling School of English, teaching mixed ability classes of teenagers and adults. As the lead tutor I was responsible for syllabus design and assisting the other teachers with their lesson planning and content delivery.
2015 to 2016
PWSZ Oswiecim: Speaking Tutor
Responsible for planning and delivering speaking lessons to students in Years 2 and 3 of the Uczelnia Państwowa Wyższa Szkoła Zawodowa, a tertiary educational establishment in Oswiecim. I also devised midyear and end of year speaking tests for the students.
2006 to 2007
EFL Teacher at International House Krakow
I taught lessons to university students at C1 and C2 level, and young learners at A1 and A2 level. This was my first post-CELTA experience.
EFL – Speaker
Recently I have begun to attend EFL conferences as a speaker.
- October 2020: International House Kyiv: Successful Online Writing Lessons
- September 2020: IATEFL Poland: Peer Observations
- September 2020: EFL Talks: The Importance of Peer Observations
- October 2019: Skyteach Festival: Ordinary Conversation vs Broadcast Interview
- October 2019: IATEFL Hungary: Helping Learners Become Autodidacts
- September 2019: SCELT Bratislava: Supporting Teachers With Dyslexia
- September 2019: IATEFL Poland: A Framework for Writing Stories in Class
- May 2019: IH World Online Conference: The Importance of Teacher Development
- March 2019: IH Torun Teacher Training Day: Zero Preparation Games
EFL – Cambridge Assessment Speaking Examiner
From 2010 to 2019 I worked for Cambridge Assessment as a speaking examiner for the following exams: pre-A1 Starters, A1 Movers, A2 Flyers, A2 Key, and B2 First & First for Schools. My time as a speaking examiner came to an end when Cambridge announced that they would not permit speaking examiners to teach the same levels that they examined.
EFL – Articles
- 2019 – ‘Folk Etymologies‘ – The International House Online Journal
- 2018 – ‘Write With Your Head, Not With Your Heart‘ – Humanising Language Teaching
- 2020 MA Applied Linguistics & TESOL (predicted Pass with Merit), The University of Leicester
- 2019 Certificate in Online Teacher Training (COLT), International House World
- 2019 Teacher Training Certificate, International House World
- 2019 Certificate in Teaching Young Learners, International House World
- 2017 Language Awareness Course, International House World
- 2006 CELTA (Pass B), International House Krakow
- 2004 Certificate in the Humanities, The Open University
- 2001 BSc (Hons) Physics (2.2), The University of Leicester