EFL – Teacher
As an EFL Teacher I have worked simultaneously for several institutions, as detailed below.
2008 to present: EFL Teacher at IH Integra Bielsko-Biala
- Exams co-ordinator, responsible for organising the handling of all exam-related matters at the school, such as the running of the Mock Exams every winter, and also all teacher training related to Cambridge exams.
- As a teacher at the school, I have taught every age and every level, including both large and small group classes, English for Specific Purposes (Medicine and Law), and individual classes.
2019: Senior Tutor at the Stirling School of English
- In the summer of 2019 I was recruited as the senior tutor for the summer school program in Stirling. My responsibilities included syllabus design, co-ordination with teachers and volunteers, and planning and delivering lessons to pre-intermediate and intermediate level classes.
2015 to 2019: EFL Teacher at Primary Steps
- Responsible for delivery of ‘Intensive English’ lessons to students in line with the school’s curriculum. Supervised preparations for Cambridge YLEs.
2015 to 2016: Speaking Tutor at PWSZ Oswiecim
- Responsible for planning and delivering speaking lessons to students in Years 2 and 3 of the Uczelnia Państwowa Wyższa Szkoła Zawodowa, a tertiary educational establishment in Oswiecim. I also devised midyear and end of year speaking tests for the students.
2006 to 2007: EFL Teacher at International House Krakow
- Taught lessons to university students at C1 and C2 level, and young learners at A1 and A2 level.
EFL – Speaker
Recently I have begun to attend EFL conferences as a speaker.
- October 2019: IATEFL Hungary: Helping Learners Become Autodidacts
- September 2019: SCELT Bratislava: Supporting Teachers With Dyslexia
- September 2019: IATEFL Poland: A Framework for Writing Stories in Class
- May 2019: IH World Online Conference: The Importance of Teacher Development
- March 2019: IH Torun Teacher Training Day: Zero Preparation Games
EFL – Cambridge Assessment Speaking Examiner
From 2010 to 2019 I worked for Cambridge Assessment as a speaking examiner for the following exams: pre-A1 Starters, A1 Movers, A2 Flyers, A2 Key, and B2 First & First for Schools. My time as a speaking examiner came to an end when Cambridge announced that they would not permit speaking examiners to teach the same levels that they examined.
EFL – Articles
- 2018 – ‘Write With Your Head, Not With Your Heart‘ – Humanising Language Teaching
- 2020 (ongoing) MA Applied Linguistics & TESOL, The University of Leicester
- 2019 Teacher Training Certificate, International House World
- 2019 Certificate in Teaching Young Learners, International House World
- 2017 Language Awareness Course, International House World
- 2006 CELTA (Pass B), International House Krakow
- 2004 Certificate in the Humanities, The Open University
- 2001 BSc (Hons) Physics (2.2), The University of Leicester
As well as creating EFL resources, I am also a keen writer. My work has been published in a number of journals and anthologies, as listed below, and I have also self-published several novels through Amazon.
- ‘You Are Here‘ – a collection of stories all with a cartographic bent. My story ‘The Wall’ is included here.
- ‘In Medias Res‘ – tales from life in the middle. Including my short story ‘The Cough.’
- ‘Circuits & Slippers‘ – sci-fi retellings of classic fairy tales. Includes my story ‘Some Assembly Required.’
- ‘Eeny Meeny Miney Mo‘ – stories for children, including my tale, ‘The Purple Giraffe.’
- ‘My Daughter Listens to Trees‘ – a story in 200 words (200CC)
- ‘Oniomania‘ – a curious addiction to shopping (Scrittura).
- ‘Perspective‘ – the difficult nature of drawing (Scrittura).
- ‘The Castle‘ – life in a drowned world (The Nabu Review).
- ‘The Monastery at Tyniec‘ (pdf download) – a short story set in Poland (Spinebind).
- ‘Sara the Writer‘ – a short history of a girl dreaming of becoming a writer (Lakeview).
- ‘The Watchmaker of 11 Listopada‘ – another story set in Poland (Paragon).
- ‘The Castle‘ – a story set in a flooded world (Nabu Review).
- ‘Fairground Fun in Tbilisi‘ – travel writing which won the ‘Just Back’ competition in the Telegraph newspaper in the UK.
- ‘Painter Interrupted: Mary Cassatt and Illness‘ – a short piece in Hektoen International.
- ‘Two Tales of Talipes Equinovarus‘ – a short piece in Hektoen International
- ‘Gabon‘ – a short piece with accompanying photograph in the journal Fractured Nuance.
- ‘Slawomir Mrozek‘ – a biographical piece about the Polish satirist/absurdist, published through Asymptote Journal.
- ‘The Man in the Mango Tree‘ – an illustrated book for younger readers. A boy who lives in a mango tree outside an African village must learn how to be brave if he is to save the people he loves.
- ‘Hit the Bottom and Escape‘ – a novel about trying to cope in Ghana and Nigeria.
- ‘Sara the Writer and Other Stories‘ – a collection of short stories set in Poland.
- ‘The Amnesiac and Other Stories‘ – a collection of short stories, with genres ranging from literary to horror to science-fiction.
- ‘The Stars Too Can Die of Sadness‘ – a short novel that examines the nature of existence.